Sunday, October 24, 2021

Adam-12 honor LAPD detective Val J. Wangsgard

Val J. Wangsgard was a real LAPD lieutenant. His name was used in the pilot episode of Adam-12, "The Impossible Mission." What more can we learn about this man?

Actor Art Gilmore played LAPD Lt. Val Wangsgard in Adam-12 pilot

In the pilot, actor Art Gilmore portrayed Lt. Val Wangsgard. Thereafter, he became Captain Moore. You might have thought, what an unusual character name! But Lt. Wangsgard was a real LAPD officer, and his name was frequently in the paper. He worked in the Van Nuys division, and from the stories I've found, I'd say he was in Homicide.

This entry will be my ongoing attempt to learn more about Lt. Wangsgard and honor him for his service. Hopefully I will find a photo!

I have learned he was married with three sons. I believe this is his findagrave entry, but sadly there are no real details. Nor were there any here other than the dates.  These sources say Val J Wangsgard was born October 16, 1923 and passed away September 30, 1994.

I imagine he was like Lt. Columbo. Chances are, I am totally wrong! Jack Webb or someone working on Adam-12 must have met him or at least asked his permission to use his name. 

First I will compile some personal stories, and then I will compile the crime stories.

Before his name was in the paper for police work, I found the young Val as an usher at this wedding in Glendale in 1946. The chapel is quite famous for weddings even though it is at Forest Lawn, the cemetery!

Val Wangsgard as an usher 1946
Next up I learned he, his wife, and three sons had been camping. And that was newsworthy! We learn that his sons' names are Chris, Lance, and Neil. One of their sons was born in late August, 1955. I know that because it was in the paper along with their address: 10347 Owensmouth, which is just east of Topanga and north of Devonshire. The house was built in 1948. 3+1, 52 x 131 lot. Here is a Google pic:


Great job of having tree-privacy! You'll have to go trick-or-treating there if you want a better view. I have walked by the house (just out for my walk) and can't say it stood out. However, I was surprised to find late 40s homes there. Most of that area's homes are late 50s/early 60s.  It's around the corner from the Cowboy Palace Saloon


Val Wangsgard family went camping

Their son Lance enlisted in 1970. Like all of us in the Valley, he went to Pierce! [Yeah, yeah, some go to Valley.] I like how that looks: Lt. and Mrs. I find it either funny or dangerous that they gave an officer's home address. [Marty Milner and William Boyett's home addresses were both given in local papers too! The Milner childhood home was in North Hollywood; the William Boyett family home in Studio City.] Of course, they got the address wrong! There is no 10349. It's 10347.

Lt. Wangsgard's police work:


WARNING: These are all true crime stories. Many of them involve death, often murder. If you choose to read them, be advised. 

Sgt Wangsgard 1960

Lt Wangsgard 1968

Lt Val Wangsgard 1969

Lt Val Wangsgard 1969

Lt Val Wangsgard 1971
WARNING: Next story is a brutal child murder.

Lt Val Wangsgard 1973

I will update this as I find more items on the real Lt. Wangsgard.

Spaulding Square Bungalows in Adam-12 episode “Excessive Force”

  Spaulding Square Bungalows in “Excessive Force” Lots of photos of upscale Hollywood bungalows from 1919 follow.   Central Division patro...